Monday, September 15, 2014

Madhuri Patel #4 - Mahatma Gandhi's home

I got the opportunity to see Mahatma Gandhi's home about 6 years ago in India and I was amazed and very shocked. When you reach the neighborhood of where Mahatma Gandhi's home is it looks like a regular neighborhood in India and then you see a gate that leads you to his house. For a leader of his kind his house is not what I expected. It was very small and not very accessible. I am 5'2'' and I couldn't stand straight up in some rooms because the ceiling was very low. Also the house was very bland and had not alot of furniture, some rooms didn't even had a furniture. When he grew up in that house some say they couldn't even afford a bed so they just slept on the floor. One side of the house was turned into a small museum that had some of his old stuff like his glasses and some books. His next door neighbor turned out to be his wife and she also had a house very similar to his. I always assumed that world leaders had houses that were very grand and big, but after seeing his house I was amazed at how much he did for his country when he didn't have alot of himself or his family.

1 comment: