Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Hayden Smiley - Week 5 Blog Post



The Louvre
(Architects: I. M. Pei of the glass pyramid; original architect unkown)

The Louvre is impressive in both scale and design. As you approach the museum a clash of modern architecture meets classic design captures your attention. The juxtaposition of the glass pyramid entrance in front of the antique castle seems allude to this idea that the french culture finds importance in preserving and appreciating history in a modern world. The glass pyramid is the entrance into the museum and literally allows one to leave the modern world behind as you step through the entrance into history. Though I believe the intention behind the design of the glass pyramid is interesting, I did not however find the glass pyramid to be aesthetically pleasing. The contrast between designs were confusing to me, and I felt the pyramid took away from the grandeur of the palace. 

 The museum is so large that it would take 100 days to walk through the entire building without stopping. I was only able to view a very small portion of the palace during my visit, but what I saw was breathtaking. Floor to ceiling murals cover almost every wall and continue onto the ceilings themselves. Paintings of gods and goddesses, angels, and kings towered over as I walked through the halls. I was in awe of the quality and beauty of it all. I couldn't help but envision what life would have been like to live in such a palace. The Louvre was like nothing I had ever experienced before. I was surrounded by color and immense beauty everywhere I turned and I found most of my tour to be overwhelming.

Though the outside architecture was confusing to me, overall I found the Louvre to be an interesting and stimulating piece of architecture that I would love to revisit and experience more of.

1 comment: