Sunday, September 21, 2014

Leah Parker - Post #6 (Week of 9-22 to 9-26)

The house I grew up in, and the only house I ever lived in throughout my childhood.


Explanation of the awkward photo:  So, this is a screenshot of the house I grew up in that I found on Google Earth - unfortunately I don't have any photos of the house that aren't already locked away in old disposable photo albums at my parent's house. I also didn't see it appropriate to go take a photo of the house, due to the fact a new family lives there (it would be creepy).

Anyhow, I lived in this house from the time that I was born in '93 until I turned 18 years old and moved out to attend university here in Norman.  That's pretty crazy to think about, especially considering most of the people that I know have moved at least once in their life prior to college. It's a rare and bizarre thing to think about - every single one of my childhood memories takes place in relatively the same place - at this house, on that street. I learned how to ride a bike there, I transitioned from elementary to middle to high school there, I learned how to play the piano, I lost my first tooth, I met my friends friends on that street... the list goes on. I really don't have much to say about it other than that, just because I could tell you literally my life's story about it.  Shortly after I moved out to college my parents decided it was time to move into a brand new home (after 20 years, I would think so!).  They sold the house to new family and my parents now live on the other side of town in a newer, larger home, that doesn't have any of the familiar sights or smells.  While their new home is much grander than the house I grew up in, I do not have the same emotional connection with it.  As crappy as this house was, it was still my home, and still keeper of all my memories.

1 comment:

  1. I really understand. WE live across the street from the house our kids grew up in and the new owners have totally changed everything

    ReplyDelete