Monday, September 22, 2014

#11 - Auby Chase Brown - Saint Basil's Cathedral

This is a building I have marveled at for a long time. The wide array of colors, the symbol of Russia, and the old design that has withstood the cruel stylist judgement of time, maintaining a status as beautiful. The roofs all look like candy and the towers are absolutely covered in designs. Even the texture mattered to the designer. I love the over-complication of everything, and the in-your-face pop outs. It's all completely over the top in a country that is constantly criticized for itself blandness. I would really like to see this building, but in addition to that, I would absolutely love to have a conversation with the team of architects who created it, and ask them things such as:
Why did you choose this over the time's traditional design?
What did you have in mind initially? How did the design change over time?
What did you intend to do by creating such a noticeable structure?
I think that this would be one of the most interesting conversations I would have ever had in my lifetime! But I guess I'll have to just stick with seeing the building one day instead.







1 comment:

  1. totally incredible! this is what important architecture is all about

    ReplyDelete