Monday, September 22, 2014

#6 - Auby Chase Brown - DFW Airport

DFW Airport has always held a great deal of happiness and sadness within me. The memories that seem to have the most presence are the good ones. Past events of vacations, short trips, and visiting family come to mind. Seeing the planes shoot off into the sky is still something that fascinates me, and I associate the feeling of flying with the feeling of excitement and adventure. Even simply driving through here (it's much faster cutting through the airport than going around it usually) brings back a sense of euphoria. However, I have an equal number, if not more, of bad memories because of this airport. My father travels often, and when I was little, we were extremely close. I would ride in the car on the way to the airport with my parents to drop my dad off almost every time he would fly off to somewhere. As I got older, it was of course less of a big deal. But when I remember the old days, the sadness returns, and I begin to dislike the airport much more.
Outside of my own personal feelings though, I love the design of this airport. There's a LOT of lanes (I've never seen it congested) and a bountiful number of toll booths to help mitigate traffic passing through. The layout of the roads is also extremely efficient and leads to different sectors of the incredibly large airport to help get you as close to your terminal as possible. There is also plenty of direction to help you find where you're going. Lastly, for an airport as old as it, it remains gorgeous. The sloped roof and glass everywhere were very ahead of its time I imagine.

Fun fact: DFW Airport is bigger than Long Island. That's Texas for you!





1 comment: