Thursday, September 25, 2014

James Curtin - Smithsonian Institute National Air and Space Museum - Post 5



For this weeks blog I have picked the National Air and Space Museum. Growing up outside of DC I was fortunate enough to visit the various museums that make up the Smithsonian Institute, but the Air and Space museum was by far my favorite. From an architectural perspective it's interesting because it at first seems so different from the other buildings in DC. It is a modern style building while most federal buildings downtown are more of a Greek Revival style. So this building makes for a stark contrast the the Capitol Building which is within sight. But the building isn't entirely out of place. the section that isn't glass and steel is encased in marble like the Capitol. My favorite plane in the museum was the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. I think it was my favorite because of the Flying Tigers style shark's mouth and eyes painted on the front.

1 comment: