Sunday, September 14, 2014

Hayden Smiley - Week 4 Blog Post

Westminster Abbey

(Architects: Christopher WrenNicholas HawksmoorJohn of Gloucester,Henry YeveleRobert of BeverleyHenry of Reyns)

Westminster Abbey was one of my first stops during my European tour in 2009. I arrived in London ahead of the main tour group and took the few extra days to sight see with others who had done the same. During our second day in London we stopped at Westminster Abbey to look around and to retreat from what looked to be on-coming rain. From the above picture, you can see that the entrance is quite grand. In person, Westminster it is truly breath taking. Eighty-two statues adorn this abbey within and around the greens. I couldn't help but lag behind the group in order to take in the impeccable detailing of this building. It was overwhelming to look at. Just the archway into the abbey alone was spectacular. Hundreds of miniature statues adorned the entire entrance ceiling depicting a scene of Christ surrounded by angels with royals and priests bearing gifts to the king. After entering the abbey you are able to see the stunning colors projected from the rose window that dance around the ceiling. There was such precision and attention to detail in every aspect of this building, it made me appreciate the emphasis and importance the European culture put art and beauty. Another interesting detail of the abbey was that on the west side of the building there are many statues honoring martyrs from all over the world. It was interesting to know that not only did this building honor specific members of this church, but also honored cultures and martyrs all over the world. There is even a statue in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.

After our tour we decided to rest in on the greens for a while, while we figured out our next destination. What made the experience of this building so special to me was the feeling I received after walking through and spending time on the premise. Our whole tour journey up until this point had been somewhat rushed and stressful trying to see as much as possible, but once we stopped here the whole group seemed to take a breath and calm down. As we sat on the lawn the sun came out and we all decided to take a nap before dinner, something none of use would have thought we would be spending our vacation time doing. We ended up resting for an hour, and while I was laying in the lush grass, I felt a sense of calm and security pass over me allowing me to sleep. I never experience relaxation like that another time on my trip. It is neat to reflect and see how the architectural and landscape of this building allowed a unique feeling to be experienced by not only me but my group as well.

Hayden Smiley

1 comment: