Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Tyler Hewett Post #9




 I will be moving to Kansas City upon graduating in December and I have been lucky enough to visit Kansas City many times this semester. So, for this week, I will be blogging about Kansas City's Country Club Plaza, the shopping/dining district of downtown Kansas City, Missouri. This is one of my favorite places to visit in Kansas City and I have indulged in many fine cuisines and beverages while visiting. I had never noticed how magnificent the architecture of Country Club Plaza was until taking this architecture for non-majors class.

In one of the previous classes, Professor Boeck mentioned this area of Kansas City and explained that it was one of the first outdoor shopping establishments designed completely around the automobile way back in the 1920's. After hearing the history of the area, I went back to Kansas City and started to notice a lot more of the building's designs and structures. All of a sudden, the colors of the buildings and designs of the courtyards, fountains and statues became very apparent to me. To me, all of the buildings resembled architecture that I have seen in Spain and some other areas of Latin America. I really enjoy this part of Kansas City and I hope everyone will get the chance to explore this historic downtown area.

No comments:

Post a Comment