Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Hayden Smiley - Week 8 Blog Post


Carnegie Hall
(Architect: William Tuthill)

Carnegie Hall represents tradition. The solid stone structure represents stability and longevity, and the venue remains as one of the last large buildings in New York City to be made entirely of masonry. Internally, the building is designed in a 19th century Baroque style. The concert venue was completed in 1891 by Andrew Carnegie, and has been the stage for both classical and popular music. This beautiful theater was even, at one time, the home to the New York City Philharmonic.

I had the privilege of visiting Carnegie Hall while touring New York City with my high school choir. This impressive structure placed me in awe as I strode across the stage with our group. The white plaster walls met with rich red theater seats made the theater feel sophisticated. When walking across the stage, one can’t help but sense the tradition and imagine what talent had graced the stage.

Carnegie hall made my young mind wander to thoughts of performing on the stage and transported me to an older time. I imagined what it would have been like to feel the heat of the spot lights on my face and hear the echo of my voice reverberate off the concert hall walls. I felt that if I pressed my ear to the floor of the stage I would be able to hear past performances forever locked in time within those walls.

Visiting Carnegie Hall was somewhat of a magical experience for me. One can’t help but appreciate the history of the architecture and feel the sense of luxury that comes with it. The building was a beautiful representation of American tradition and appreciation for the arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment