Monday, December 1, 2014

Sam Smith - 5


Saint Mark's Square in Venice is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's a perfect inversion of the cathedral (from which this picture is taken). The open air above contrasts so well with the rigid dome next door. That is, unless it starts to pour like when I visited.

For men, the most important part of Venice was a glass of hot rum punch I got in Saint Mark's Square. I had been braving the rain all day so that I could see every church and canal. My sister, mom and I ended up taking shelter in Saint Marks Cathedral as the sun went down, which meant we would have to make it to our bed and breakfast in the dark. Let me tell you, people should stop saying that Venice is sinking. The fact is, Venice already sank the night I was there. It just dried back out again.

So that night as I jogged across the Square with my family I noticed some people in a restaurant (where all the little white tables are in the photo), so I turned left without reducing my speed and asked for a table for three inside. My sister ordered a hot chocolate while my mom and I ordered hot rum punch and used our napkins as blankets until we were brave enough to swim back to our rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment