Monday, December 1, 2014

Sam Smith - 12


I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower with my dad when I was fifteen. We were so excited about it that we spent the whole morning walking around the grounds below it just so we could appreciate being at the top even more. Finally, when the anticipation was killing us we got a ticket for the elevator to take us up the iron spire. The view was not a disappointment. It felt like we were standing on the shoulders of Paris. All the museums had felt like artifacts, but on top of the Eiffel Tower I was a part of some living, breathing organism. We stayed up there for well over an hour. We watched people, saw the tail end of a parade downtown, and imagined what it would have been like to build such a monstrosity. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had with a piece of architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment