Monday, December 1, 2014

Sam Smith - 11


My relationship with the Golden Gate Bridge is kind of shaky. I love the aesthetics and how it represents a door to the West, but it was the first place I went to that was a known suicide option. When I first got to San Francisco I remember being determined to walk all the way across it and all the way back alone. At twelve years old, that was a big feat of independence for me. But an hour before I began my trek I had seen a sign posted about not getting up on the railing. I foolishly asked my parents why this was and I was told about how many suicides there are from the bridge every year. This made my walk far more scary because I had to now worry about other people trying to jump off the bridge in addition to not getting lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment