Thursday, August 21, 2014

Leah Parker - Post #1 (Week of 8-18 to 8-22)

Bad Granny's Bazaar



This is a building special to me for a variety of reasons.  First of all, it's a little antique shop that goes by Bad Granny's Bazaar officially, but "Granny's" to my close group of friends.  It is located on North 16th near Penn in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  This store has all kinds of crazy gadgets, clothing, jewelry, artwork, and other random knick-knacks from as far back as the 1920's to present day.  The back of the store in particular features my favorite part, and the reason that I am blogging this today:  the record room.  This room is full of tons of old records and posters, and often, Bad Granny often holds shows and concerts for local bands, touring bands, acoustic acts, art shows, comedy acts, and things of that nature.

More specifically, bands from other states that I love often come through Oklahoma City and play here, where I get to see them for free (aside from the donations that I give in order to fund their tour's gas money!), and also meet and get the chance to chat with them, because Granny's is such a small and quaint store.  Bands that my friends and I have participated in also get the opportunity to play along side these bands at these shows, as well as hold shows of our own to kick off a new album or just hang out with everyone.  This kind of opportunity has been an incredible experience for the lot of us, and the entire community that resides in this building every so often has a strange sense of togetherness, understanding, and a collective love and appreciation for musicians, and music in general.  I have met many people important to my life here at these shows - I started going to them in the middle of my senior year of high school, never realizing that it would definitely be a life-changing experience that I would carry with me to this point: a senior in college, soon to embark on graduate school in the next year.

1 comment: