Friday, August 22, 2014

Hayden Smiley - Week 1 Blog Post


The First United Methodist Church of Altus
(Architect Unknown)

This is the First United Methodist Church in Altus, Oklahoma. Growing up in a small town church is an integral part of social life. It is the place where community outreach begins, and is also the place where the community gathers together. 

Growing up my mother was a very active member of the church. Because of this, this church became like a second home to me. This building was my daycare, my after school program, my choir class, my summer camp, my playground, my hangout, and so much more. Memories of running up and down it's hallways playing tag with my siblings or hiding in cabinets during a game of sardines fill my mind when I see this building. Countless hours were spent here drawing, singing, dancing, laughing, and looking back now I am appreciative to have had the opportunity to have grown up in such a loving, safe and encouraging environment. 

Because I was basically born into this church, and because Altus is so small, I grew up surrounded by the same children and adults for 18 years of my life. I knew everyone and everyone knew me, which in a way is very lovely. There is a strong sense of contentedness that comes with recognizing everyone who surrounds you. It can be very empowering and comforting, for a young person, to know that there are people all around you that will help you if need be. The security I felt here allowed me to grow and explore my personality, my likes my, my dislikes, my strengths, my weaknesses and my environment in ways that may not have been so positive if I had done them outside of these walls.This building represents security, encouragement, friendship, and love to me. Even when I return here I still feel at peace and at home. Happiness is what I feel when I encounter this building.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for sharing this memory with this church. I have memories too/ A bit foggy as I only spent summers here. My grandmother was a secretary at the church and I have many fond memories of my summers in Altus. What was the size of the church?

    ReplyDelete