Sunday, August 31, 2014

Leah Parker - Post #3 (Week of 9-1 to 9-5)

St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, Russia.


I initially chose this building due to my personal love of Russian culture - I am a Russian minor here at OU, and am wildly impressed by their beautiful cathedrals and buildings. I have never been to Russia myself, but my professor tells me many interesting stories about Russia.  One of these fun facts about Russia, is that not one building in their normal squares look alike; every building is an architect's attempt to "one-up" the building next door, or across the street. Because of this, Russia is filled with tons of different architectural styles in their buildings. However, the most iconic and significant is this onion/bulb-shaped tower top that St. Basil's Cathedral has. I personally love this style, and the building is often described as "shaped as a flame of a bonfire rising into the sky".  The neatest thing about a building with an iconic architectural style, is that anyone that looks at this photo can probably guess it's place of origin - Russia. This source also concludes that this cathedral foreshadowed the climax of Russian natural architecture in the 17th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment