Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Hayden Smiley - Week 10 Blog Post


The Parthenon
(Architects: Phidias, Ictinus, Callicrates)

While touring Europe, I had the opportunity of visiting Athens, Greece. Of all the places I traveled, Greece was by far my favorite stop. The fresh food, clear water, and ancient architecture really set this destination apart. Though I had seen several cathedrals, palaces and other historical tourist’s destinations, what set the Parthenon apart for me was the sheer age of the structure.  To be able to touch and see a building built in 447 BC was simply mind blowing to me. Its size, precision, and beauty captivated me, and as I learned of its history and of its mysteries I couldn't help by marvel at a society, that I feel, was much more advanced and educated than modern culture.

The Parthenon is a Grecian constructed in 447 BC to honor the goddess Athena. This remarkable piece of architecture has withstood man and nature, and is a reminder to modern culture of the sophistication possessed by this ancient society.

The Parthenon is built on marble pillars that were constructed in sections. There are two rows of columns, and the columns slightly bow inward so that if they were to continue a mile into the sky they would meet. The roof has an upward curvature intended to shed rainwater and reinforce the building against earthquakes. At one time the Parthenon was said to have housed an immense sculpture of the goddess Athena, but has since been lost in history.


Someday I hope to travel back to the Parthenon with my family so that I can share with them the experience witnessing history so ancient and sophisticating it is mind boggling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment